floit63: (06)
[personal profile] floit63 posting in [community profile] transgender
People born in California can now change the sex on their birth certificates regardless of what state they reside in

Transgender people born in California will be able to change the specified sex on their birth certificate, even if they live outside the state, a California appellate court ruled on Monday.

Gigi Marie Somers, 67, lives in Kansas but was born in Los Angeles and wanted to change her sex on her birth certificate. Somers underwent sex-reassignment surgery in 2005 and has lived as a woman for a decade, according to a press release by the Transgender Law Center, who represented her in court.

Somers was unable to change her California birth certificate from her current state without a court order, which was denied. The California appellate court held 3-0 that all people born in California can petition for a new birth certificate.

"We discern no compelling state interest in treating California-born transgender individuals who reside out of state differently from California-born transgender individuals who reside in California when either class seeks issuance of a new California birth certificate," wrote presiding judge James Marchiano.

A law that would have had the same effect as the court ruling was introduced into the California assembly in February, but has yet to be moved forward by the judiciary committee.

- Advocate.com
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
User (will be screened if not on Access List)
Account name:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
HTML doesn't work in the subject.


Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.



Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags